After a successful wet dress rehearsal on Thursday, NASA's Artemis II mission looked primed to launch early next month as the first crewed spaceflight in decades. However, on Saturday, NASA Administrator Jared Isaacman said an issue with helium pumps will likely push the mission back once again.
“Last evening, the team was unable to get helium flow through the vehicle,” Icsaacman said in a post on X. “We will begin preparations for rollback, and this will take the March launch window out of consideration.”
Isaacman says that the issue can't be fixed with the rocket on the launchpad, meaning the agency will need to begin the lengthy process of rolling the rocket back into the vehicle assembly building.
The earliest launch window for Artemis II was previously scheduled for March 6. With the mission being pushed out of March, the earliest it could take off now is April 1, just before 6:30 p.m.
Isaacman said there will be a more extensive briefing at a later date.
DOWNLOAD the free Gulf Coast News app for your latest news and alerts on breaking news, weather, sports, entertainment, and more on your phone or tablet. And check out the Very Local Gulf Coast app to stream news, entertainment and original programming on your TV.