Layza Pinero Resto
•8/23/2026

The man accused of barricading himself in his Charlotte County home and setting it on fire made his first appearance in court on Sunday. Renel Joseph, 51, faced a judge virtually, seen in a wheelchair with a cast on his arm. Joseph faces a long list of charges, including resisting an officer, battery, arson, and possession of a weapon as a convicted felon. On August 17, deputies with the Charlotte County Sheriff's Office went to Joseph's home after his family called 911. His family told deputies that he had threatened to kill them and law enforcement officers. CCSO and SWAT crews surrounded the home after they say Joseph barricaded himself inside. Joseph, according to deputies, was also seen pouring gasoline over a car and setting it on fire. The scene stretched into the early hours of August 18, during which Gulf Coast News crews at the scene reported the sounds of shots being fired. Charlotte County Sheriff Bill Prummell said that Joseph had fired shots at armored vehicles. No deputies were injured. At around 6:50 a.m. on August 18, Joseph was taken into custody. He was sent to the hospital for treatment after deputies say he had been shot in the hand. Deputies could not determine whether or not the wound was self-inflicted. On Sunday, a judge ordered that Joseph would be held without bond after he had requested to represent himself. He was also issued a no-contact order for members of his family. During proceedings, it was revealed that Joseph, a convicted felon, also has an Immigration and Customs Enforcement hold on him. Joseph is believed to be an immigrant from Haiti. Joseph's next appearance is set for Tuesday. DOWNLOAD the free Gulf Coast News app for your latest news and alerts on breaking news, weather, sports, entertainment, and more on your phone or tablet. And check out the Very Local Gulf Coast app to stream news, entertainment and original programming on your TV